"What Would Gus Want?" is the fourth episode of the first series of The Dumping Ground. It premiered of the 25 January 2013.
Mike tells Gus that he has found a lesbian couple who are interested in fostering him. While Gus is tied between leaving the Dumping Ground and going to live with a new family, Johnny is opposed to Gus being fostered under the view that gay couples should not be allowed to have children. What will Gus decide?
- Connor Byrne as Mike Milligan
- Noah Marullo as Gus Carmichael
- Kay Purcell as Gina Conway
- Philip Graham Scott as Harry Jones
- Mia McKenna-Bruce as Tee Taylor
- Jessica Revell as Elektra Perkins
- Amy-Leigh Hickman as Carmen Howle
- Miles Butler-Hughton as Tyler Lewis
- Kia Pegg as Jody Jackson
- Leanne Dunstan as Faith Davis
- Chris Slater as Frank Matthews
- Joe Maw as Johnny Taylor
- Daniel Pearson as Rick Barber
- Elizabeth Hall as Ronnie
- Sara Stephens as Dawn
- Jessie Williams as Lily Kettle
- This episode marks the final appearance of Gus Carmichael; although he still appears in the opening titles in Series 1.
- In this episode, it is shown Johnny doesn't approve of lesbian couples. It is unknown whether he approves of gays, however.
- Tee and Johnny have another fight.
- This episode was nominated for, and won "Best Children's Comedy Script" at the "2013 Writers' Guild of Great Britain Awards."
- This is the third and final time Gus is not seen wearing his Navy shirt and yellow trousers.
- In The Dumping Ground, it is first time "Hayfever" and "Blowing" are mentioned.
- Gus' new foster parents are the first lesbians of the series, second being May-Li Wang.